Current:Home > FinanceJudge overturns $4.7 billion jury award to NFL Sunday Ticket subscribers -WealthRoots Academy
Judge overturns $4.7 billion jury award to NFL Sunday Ticket subscribers
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 02:38:03
A federal judge on Thursday overturned the $4.7 billion jury award in the class action suit for subscribers of the NFL Sunday Ticket programming package.
U.S. District Judge Philip Gutierrez granted the National Football League's request to toss out the award. The judge said the jury did not follow his instructions and created an "overcharge," he wrote in his order.
Gutierrez also said that models presented during the trial about what a media landscape (and subscription fees) would look like without NFL Sunday Ticket were faulty and "not the product of sound economic methodology," he wrote in the order.
As a result, the damages were more "guesswork or speculation" than figures based on "evidence and reasonable inferences," Gutierrez wrote.
New sports streaming service:Venu Sports sets price at $42.99/month: What you can (and can't) get with it
NFL STATS CENTRAL: The latest NFL scores, schedules, odds, stats and more.
What were the jury instructions?
Jurors were instructed to calculate damages based on "the difference between the prices Plaintiffs actually paid for Sunday Ticket and the prices Plaintiffs would have paid had there been no agreement to restrict output.”
DirecTV offered Sunday Ticket from 1994 to 2022, with the cost for residential subscribers typically running between $300 and $400. Last year, Google began offering the programming package via YouTube. This year, NFL Sunday Ticket costs $349 to $449.
On June 27, a federal jury in California awarded NFL Sunday Ticket subscribers more than $4.7 billion in damages and nearly $97 million to bars, restaurants, and other businesses with commercial subscriptions to the package.
The plaintiff's attorneys argued that the NFL, CBS, Fox and DirecTV created a "single, monopolized product" in packaging out-of-market NFL games in the Sunday Ticket package. Because the Sunday Ticket was the only way to get those NFL games, consumers paid inflated prices over the years, the plaintiffs alleged.
The NFL denied any wrongdoing and defended the programming package's distribution model as a premium product.
“We are grateful for today’s ruling in the Sunday Ticket class action lawsuit," the NFL said in a statement sent to USA TODAY. "We believe that the NFL's media distribution model provides our fans with an array of options to follow the game they love, including local broadcasts of every single game on free over-the-air television. We thank Judge Gutierrez for his time and attention to this case and look forward to an exciting 2024 NFL season.”
So what happens now?
The plaintiffs likely could appeal the latest ruling in the case, which began in 2015 when two businesses and two individual subscribers sued on behalf of NFL Sunday Ticket subscribers from 2011.
An estimated 2.4 million residential subscribers and 48,000 businesses bought the NFL Sunday Ticket package from June 17, 2011, to Feb. 7, 2023. In a January 2024 filing, plaintiffs said they were entitled to damages of up to $7.01 billion.
The judge's order stems from the NFL's argument in court on Wednesday that the jury's award should be overturned.
"There's no doubt about what they did," Gutierrez said Wednesday ahead of his ruling, according to Courthouse News. "They didn't follow the instructions."
The subscribers' attorney, Mark Seltzer, told Gutierrez on Wednesday that the jurors should be able to negotiate a fair damages award provided it falls within an evidence-supported range, Courthouse News reported.
Contributing: Michael Middlehurst-Schwartz, Lorenzo Reyes and Brent Schrotenboer.
Follow Mike Snider on X and Threads: @mikesnider & mikegsnider.
What's everyone talking about? Sign up for our trending newsletter to get the latest news of the day
veryGood! (578)
Related
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- USA TODAY Sports Network's Big Ten football preseason media poll
- 'The Sopranos' star Drea de Matteo says teen son helps her edit OnlyFans content
- Holding out for a hero? Here are the 50 best, from Deadpool to Han Solo
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Hiker dies after running out of water near state park in sweltering heat
- Israel's Netanyahu in Washington for high-stakes visit as death toll in Gaza war nears 40,000
- Why Hailey Bieber Chose to Keep Her Pregnancy Private for First 6 Months
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Taylor Swift could make it to quite a few Chiefs games this season. See the list
Ranking
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- Montana education board discusses trends, concerns in student achievement
- 2024 Olympics: Watch Athletes Unbox Condoms Stocked in the Olympic Village
- Woman gets probation for calling in hoax bomb threat at Boston Children’s Hospital
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- USA TODAY Sports Network's Big Ten football preseason media poll
- A man suspected of shooting a Tennessee Highway Patrol trooper is arrested in Kentucky
- Russia says its fighter jets intercepted 2 U.S. strategic bombers in the Arctic
Recommendation
The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
See exclusive new images of Art the Clown in gory Christmas horror movie 'Terrifier 3'
U.S. stocks little moved by potential Harris run for president against Trump
'The Sopranos' star Drea de Matteo says teen son helps her edit OnlyFans content
Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
Missouri judge overturns wrongful murder conviction of man imprisoned for over 30 years
As Georgia presses on with ‘Russia-style’ laws, its citizens describe a country on the brink
US Sen. Bob Menendez of New Jersey is resigning from office following his corruption conviction